When we were in Lewistown, Kristi Diehl made some amazing bread. I asked for the recipe and have made it several times since then. I tweaked the recipe to make it "Ian-friendly," and I also changed the instant oats to old fashioned oats. I think it adds more texture. The recipe also called for 2 loaves, and I make it into 3. It is more work than the bread that I usually make, but definitely worth it. Here is the recipe the way I do it.
Best Bread Recipe
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 cups boiling (or very hot) soy milk
1/2 cup honey
1 Tablespoon salt
2 packages yeast (1/4 oz each)
1/3 cup lukewarm water with 1 teaspoon honey
1 beaten egg
2 Tablespoons soy margarine
2 cups whole wheat flour
4-5 cups bread flour
Pour boiling soy milk over oats, margarine, salt and honey. Let stand 20 minutes.
Dissolve yeast in warm honey water, stir into oat mixture. Add egg, then whole wheat flour. Add enough bread flour to make a stiff dough. Knead 8-10 minutes. Let rise until doubled in bulk. Punch down and shape into three loaves. Let rise in bread pans. Bake at 325 for 30-35 minutes.
Monday, May 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment