Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Our New "Stove"


When I said I wanted a new stove, this wasn't what I had in mind.
We have been out of gas since sometime toward the end of March. For the last 6-7 weeks we have been cooking on a kerosene burner.
It actually isn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I will be glad to go back to using a stove. It's more work, and it's inconvenient because you can only cook one thing at a time.
I haven't been able to make bread during this time either, except for a couple of times in an outdoor wood oven.
The gas for our refrigerator lasted until last Monday. We have only had about a week without a refrigerator.
There is good news, too. The gas is here now, and this afternoon we should have things workign again.
Our real new stove came at the end of last week. Once the gas is here and hooked up, we will be using a 6 burner stove.
But we'll keep the kerosene burner just in case.

5 comments:

bonniebo

Be like camping for 6 weeks only worse....no ice, no tent, no hiking, no smores! :(

Love ya!

googleaccount

I don't think I would even know how to use the stove!
Charlotte Hopps

Anna

Bonnie- at least we're not cold! And we do have running water almost all of the time.

Charlotte- Someone had to show me how to use it, but it's pretty easy.

Anonymous

That's funny.

Beth

Well, I read on Stephen's blog yesterday about the "no gas" problem. You know we are limping along here complaining about the many times a day power cuts and the interenet problems we've been having for about two weeks. This post is good perspective for me. I have things to be thankful for. I can't imagine how challenging it's been to cook for your family like this! May the gas return quickly so that you can put that stove to good use! And may God help me to be grateful for small things (more like big things) like a bottle of gas.