Monday, March 17, 2008

Easter Plans

I was trying to decide what to do for the kids for Easter this year. This will be our first year since we have moved to MT that we will be home for Easter. The last three years we were in KY, Kalispell (about to go to Las Vegas), and Florida. I don't have Easter baskets for the kids.
I have great memories of Easter baskets from when I was a kid, and I wanted to do something for our kids. Knowing we are going to move this summer, I didn't really want to go out and buy baskets that I would have to get rid of or pack when we move. I also didn't want to give them very much candy. We are pretty strict about sweets.
I found an idea online for a "Reverse Easter Basket." (I included the instructions below.) We started that last night.
Mary Jo also gave me an idea to have one Easter basket for all of them. I have a big basket that I can use, and some green metallic grass (thanks to Lowell and Bonnie), so I don't have to buy anything for that. I did buy some plastic eggs, one bag of jelly beans and one package of peeps. I plan to hide the eggs for an Easter egg hunt (maybe on Saturday) and have a few in the basket. In addition to the candy, I'm going to put coins, stickers, and other small toys in the eggs. I have some bubbles and pencils that I bought last Monday that can go in their Easter basket.

Reverse Easter Basket

Palm Sunday: Start with a large empty basket, add palm leaves (made out of paper, crayon drawings, whatever) and talk about how Jesus rode into Jerusalem.

Monday: add a towel - Jesus served others and even washed the disciples’ feet.

Tuesday: add a small bottle of Perfume or Cologne - Mary, Lazarus' sister anointed His feet with oil.

Wednesday: add Silver coins - Judas' price to betray Him.

Thursday would have been Jesus' last supper, Passover: add Unleavened bread and wine

Friday, the crucifixion: add a crown of thorns or a lamb - Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world. John 1:29

Saturday: Cover the basket with a linen cloth.

SUNDAY! Take off the grave clothes and add a king's crown!

0 comments: