Friday, April 24, 2009

Easy Birthday gift


We had a birthday party this past Saturday, for one of our neighbors who was turning 10. I wasn't really sure what to give for a present. I didn't have the time to go out and look for a present, and I really wasn't sure what to buy for a 10 year old girl.
I decided to make something. I had this box for several years. It originally came with a punch and some stamps. I saved the box knowing that "someday" I would alter it. "Someday" finally arrived. I pulled out some patterned paper and scrapbooking tools. I was able to complete the project with things that I had on hand-- no money spent, and no time consuming trip to the store.


I used the paper and the red sticky tape to cover the inside and outside of the box. The turquoise part of the lid had a white swirled design, so I left that plain. Then I filled the inside with various blank cards, envelopes, patterned paper, images, stickers, and ribbon. Isabelle insisted on making a birthday card. (You can see it on top of the box.) We decided that the box was too pretty to wrap, so I just used a ribbon and tag.

Here is the birthday girl opening her present.

She came our house yesterday and brought some of the cards she has been making this week to show me. (She also received some other scrapbooking supplies for her birthday.) Another young crafter in the making!

You can find more frugal ideas at Life as Mom.

4 comments:

Niki Jolene

Awww...love to see such young girls getting into scrapbooking!

:)

~

What a cute idea! Looks like she really enjoyed it.

Anonymous

While you were making the box, did you say the names of the supplies in French and then say your to do list (including verbs)---also in French? I wouldn't want you to lose study time.
I'm really glad you had the break and did something that needed to be done but was also fun!

Lowell & Bonnie Meznarich

What a totally awesome idea!! :) That turned out great! I've gotten Mel into scrapbooking and it makes it so easy for Christmas and birthdays!! I just keep a tote handy to put sale items in as I find them all year round!